Wood Stove and Fireplace Safety Tips
Nothing beats curling up in front of a warm fire, but there are some risks to watch out for. Here's a few tips for you to rest easy and enjoy during this winter season.
- Be sure to have a professional inspection every year. The biggest risk of an uncleaned chimney flue is creosote, a highly flammable residue.
- Your wood stove should be the right size for the space you intend to heat. Inconsistent temperatures can cause problems ranging from poor fuel efficiency to fire risks. Use a stovepipe thermometer to check the temperature for safety.
- Never leave a fire unattended and use a fire screen.
- Make sure smoke detectors are working.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close at hand, and teach everyone in the family how to use it.
Have a warm, cozy, and safe winter!