How to Extinguish Small Fires?
How Would You Extinguish Small Fires?
A fire can be scary but understanding what to do when it happens can prevent a small fire from growing.
When a fire is just starting, it could be small enough to be extinguished with a fire blanket or a fire extinguisher. But if it starts to scatter fast or takes longer than five seconds to be defeated, call 911 or pull the alarm. In case of a fire, do the following;
- Turn appliances off or pull the plug.
- Do not use water.
- Shut off the stove
- Do not use water or turn on the exhaust fan.
- Keep your oven grease-free and clean up afterward.
- Hot grease can spatter and ignite paper.
- Shut off the gas supply.
- Never light a match near a heater or a stove.
- Do not turn on any light switches.
No matter the type of fire, we always recommend calling 911...it's better to be safe than sorry!