Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After Fire Damage
The winter holidays are known for bringing family together and eating lots of delicious food! But, the winter holiday season has more potential fire risks because of the fun decorations, lights and all the holiday cooking. If the unfortunate event of a holiday fire affects your home or business, look no further than SERVPRO of Egg Harbor/Township. We are available 24/7, even on holidays, to help you restore your property after fire damage.
While you wait for our team to arrive, below are a few tips on how to get the cleaning process started.
Please make sure the affected property has been given the "all clear" by your local fire department before reentrance!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (609) 383-9785
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.